Arroz a la Cubana a la Potato Joy
My Arroz a la Cubana a la Potato Joy is a little bit twisted more exciting and fun to eat! It's a one-dish meal you can enjoy anytime of the day! This one is like Shepherd's Pie but with rich, creamy mashed potatoes all around it topped with thin slices of potatoes and baked in the oven until the potato slices are well browned and slightly crispy. YUUUUUUUUUUUUUM!
- 1/4 cup - U.S. Dehydrated Potato Flakes to make mashed potato
- 1/2 cup - U.S. Dehydrated Potato Slices for toppings
- 1 small - Onion, peeled and minced
- 2 cloves - Garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 lb - Ground Beef
- 2 tbsps - Soy Sauce
- 1/2 cup - Water
- 1 medium - Carrot, diced
- 1 pc - Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp - Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For the Sides:
- Saba Bananas, ripe but firm
Procedure to make Mashed Potato:
- Heat water, butter, and salt to rolling boil in a saucepan. Remove from heat. Stir in milk and U.S. Dehydrated Potato Flakes with a fork until potatoes are of desired consistency. Do not whip. Add more butter or milk to taste.
Procedure to rehydrate U.S. Dehydrated Potato Slices:
- Place Dehydrated Potato Slices into a bowl or container. Add enough boiling hot water to barely cover all of the potatoes. Allow potatoes to hydrate for about 15 minutes or until fully rehydrated.
Procedure for the Sides:
- Peel bananas and slice lengthwise. In a pan over medium heat, heat the remaining oil. Add bananas and cook, turning once or twice, until golden and lightly crisp. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- In the pan, add eggs and cook sunny side up, with the white part set and the yolks runny.
Procedure for Arroz a la Cubana a la Potato Joy:
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until limp. Add ground beef and cook, for about 10 to 15 minutes until lightly browned. Drain excess fat.
- Add soy sauce and water. Bring to a boil for about 1 to 2 minutes. Lower heat; cover and simmer until meat is cooked through and liquid is mostly reduced.
- Add carrots, potatoes and bell peppers and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover the side of the bowl with mashed potatoes. Add Arroz a la Cubana. Topped with potato slices and bake 350F for 10 minutes.
- Serve with fried eggs and fried bananas.
Recipe by: Joy Gurtiza - Entrepreneur / Photographer